Gourmet Style, Easy Steps!
feLIZ Holidays to everybody! End of year, regardless of your background or religious affiliation, proves to be a time of family and enjoying the simple things in life. Here in the USA, one of the most classic comfort dishes is Mac N' Cheese. And who doesn't love a good Mac N' Cheese?!
Knock your guests socks off with this quick and easy recipe! Promise to satisfy :)
Macaroni Elbows (1 box)
1/2 block of Gruyere Cheese
1/2 block of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 Pint of Light Cream
4 Tablespoons of Butter
2 Tablespoons of Flour
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees... then begin the below
1. Cook Macaroni as usual, drain and set aside
2. In a saucepan melt 4 tablespoons of butter and add 1/2 pint of cream
3. Gradually add flour to the melted mixture, making a roux
4. Gradually add cheese, waiting for cheese to melt, until it is all melted! You can have fun with this part. Mix and match your cheeses. Maybe you want more cheddar than gruyere, or vice versa. Maybe you want to throw in some parmesan! Stick with the proportions and do as you please. And really at the end of the day, you really can't have TOO MUCH cheese...
5. Lightly coat the bottom of a baking dish in butter. Pour the already cooked macaroni on top
6. Pour your cheese sauce over the macaroni. The cheese may clump - don't worry about that! Take out a spatula and evenly distribute the cheese mixture across the macaroni
7. You don't want your macaroni to dry out while you're baking, (more likely to happen than you may think it is), so this step is crucial! Take the extra 1/2 of light cream and pour it into the baking dish evenly across the macaroni. Use your judgement on this part, as to whether you add the full other 1/2 pint or not
8. Lastly! Sprinkle some Paprika and light salt (if desired) across the top! Here you could also grate some Parmesan Cheese to have a crispy, cheesy top
9. Pop your tray into the oven! Bake for around 30 minutes, and then ENJOY!!
I swear this will be a hit!! Let me know if you try it out!! AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!
Eating at home doesn't have to be boring or complicated!
Here are a few pictures and ideas for having fun with one of the simplest and quickest on the go foods to prepare: TOAST!
Whether you lather it up with peanut butter, almond butter, jam, nuts and berries... or stack on avocado, egg, cheese and veggies... make your toast your own! And spend no more than 5 minutes making this delicious snack!
Keep it simple but creative, and enjoy! Share some of your toasty ideas with me! feLIZfoodie@gmail.com!
Penne pasta of choice
1 Cup Vodka
1 Can Tomato Sauce (Hunt's)
1 Can Tomato Paste
Fresh Diced Tomatoes
1/2 Medium-sized Diced Onion
1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/3 Block of Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 Tablespoon Mrs. Dash Italian Seasoning (Oregano, Basil, Onion & Garlic Powder Mix)
2 Tablespoons of Crushed Red Pepper (or less if desired to be less spicy)
1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream (or Fat Free Half & Half for a lighter option)
Pour Tomato Sauce into a Sauce pan to simmer adding Vodka, 1 tablespoon of tomato paste, crushed red pepper and italian seasoning mix. Simmer for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally allowing flavors to blend and steep together. (If blend seems a little runny, continue to add tomato paste until it reaches desired thickness).
In a separate sauce pan over medium heat brown/caramelize fresh tomatoes and diced onions with EVOO, salt and pepper.
While sauce is simmering, cook your penne. Once cooked and drained, return to pot over medium heat, add tomato sauce mix with browned tomatoes and onions. Add 1 cup of cream of choice (heavy whipping cream or half & half), as well as, PARMESAN and Sharp Cheddar cheeses. Stir for about 5 minutes allowing cheeses to melt and flavors to blend together.
Serve & Enjoy!!!
Ready for NYE?!
Try a new recipe to kick-off the year! Here is my twist on delicious white wine poached pears with a mascarpone sherry sauce!
6 Peeled Bosc Pears
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons Honey
2 Tablespoons Vanilla extract
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Cups of Dry White Wine
3 Cups of Water
1/2 Juiced Lemon
Dash of Nutmeg
8 oz. Mascarpone Cheese
2 Teaspoons Sherry
Over medium-high heat combine sugar, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, wine, water and lemon. Bring to a soft boil for 5 minutes.
Reduce heat and add peeled pears and sprinkle with nutmeg. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally or until the pears are easily pierced by a knife, but not mushy! When ready transfer pears into a bowl. Allow poaching liquid to cool then add to the pears, cover and put in the fridge at least an hour.
In a separate bowl combine mascarpone, sherry and 1/4 cup of cooled poaching liquid. Whip until soft peaks form!
Once pears are chilled, top with your mascarpone topping and ENJOY!
FeLIZ Año Nuevo!
Quick & easy Huevos Rancheros!
When it boils down to it, huevos rancheros is a pretty simple dish, which can vary in ingredients, but typically has a few staple items:
1. Fried Eggs
In my version, based on what I already had at home, I used Goya Black Beans & my favorite Cabot Sharp Cheddar Habañero cheese.
Start off by heating the black beans in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Season with EVOO, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and cumin. You may also add chopped jalapeño, or other chile of choice, as well as diced onions at this point.
In a separate saucepan, over medium-high heat, add chopped tomatoes with EVOO and heat until they begin to caramelize/become golden on the outside. Push tomatoes to the side and add desired amount of eggs. Before eggs are completely fried, top with your cheese of choice and cover pan, allowing cheese to melt over the egg/tomato mixture.
Line your plate with tortillas of choice (you may also have tortillas on the side, like I did today). Pour the black beans mixture over the tortillas, and slide the egg/tomato mixture over that. Add a dash of CHOLULA sauce, and you are ready to eat!
Below is another picture of my final product!
As previously mentioned, you can do some other things with this dish and make it your own! Such as further topping with any of the following: sour cream, crema fresca, avocado or cilantro.
feLIZ cooking!! & I hope you enjoy the recipe!!
It's Monday. The weather is transitioning slowly but surely into the brisk NYC fall, and YOU are slowly but surely recovering from your Sunday Funday hangover ☺️
So what's for dinner?
Why not try making a delicious homemade pizza! It's easier than you think... And here is how!
While you could make dough from scratch, I recommend you stop by your favorite local pizza shop or grocery store, and ask for some premade dough. You can find this in the refrigerator section of your local supermarket, often by the cheeses. You'll spot it pretty quickly, usually in a plastic bag, the dough simply in a big ball. Now, don't get intimidated thinking getting the dough into a round pie will be hard! It's actually really easy...
Pick up whatever other ingredients & toppings you'd like to add to your pizza. If you are going to make pizza with a red sauce, I recommend you buy a preseasoned pasta sauce, to keep this homemade lazy style Monday pizza as effortless, yet tasty as possible!
When you have all the ingredients you desire, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Use a pizza stone, or simply any baking pan, splash a little olive oil on the surface to prevent your pizza from sticking, and begin to knead out the dough. It should be pretty easy to get it into a nice round pizza shape, concentrating on keeping the dough thickest around the edges, to have a nice crust!
Top with the ingredients of your liking, and throw it in the over for 25-30 minutes, and voila! You are eating gourmet at home!
I will share with you my homemade version from the other night. This is a simple margherita pizza I made, topped with: Freshly sliced organic tomatoes, fresh basil, buffalo mozzarella, a 5-cheese blend of shredded italian cheeses including Parmesan, Asiago and Romano, basil tomato pasta sauce, & a sprinkle of both EVOO and red pepper flakes!
Below are both my before & after baking pictures. feLIZ pizza baking!!!
In my FIRST ever FElizFOODIE post, I would like to first and foremost thank you for visiting my page! (To know more about me, and why this blog is here, please visit the “About Me” section of my site)
For this first post I am going to keep it simple and start off with a recipe I invented tonight for dinner! This was a completely impromptu, experimental dinner that came out way too delicious to not write down, and repeat over and over again!
FElizFOODIE simple & quick SPICY STEAK TACOS!
Steak of YOUR preference
1 sweet onion
1 garlic clove
1 large Jalapeno, or other spicy pepper of choice
Small taco-size soft corn tortillas (Mission brand is the best!)
Crispy Fried Onions
Freshly Ground Pepper
Hot Sauce of preference
1. Dice & chop half the sweet onion, the jalapeno and the garlic clove as small as possible
2. Heat a medium-sized saucepan to medium heat, drizzle with EVOO and add onion, garlic, jalapeno mix. Sautee until crispy brown and remove from the sauce pan
3. While the onion mix is sautéing, chop steak into small cubes. Season with salt & freshly ground pepper
4. Add cubed steak to sauce pan on HIGH with EVOO and cook until edges are no longer red. Once this happens, add the onion, garlic, jalapeno mix to the pan
5. Continue to cook steak to desired temperature. Squeeze half a fresh lime over the steak before removing from the pan!
6. Fill your soft tacos with the delicious steak mixture, top with sliced avocado, your crispy fried onions and a dash of hot sauce, and ENJOY!